Making the final moulds

I learnt so much from making the 2 test moulds that I wanted to apply the same methods to my moulds for my final pieces. I made more vessels that would need double walled moulds so I wanted to use printed tools to make the process easier for me.


I printed a hexagonal spacer that sat atop the top step of each vessel. I placed it inside the vessel, using clay to plug the area below it and any gaps before I cast either side. After casting the 2 sides I had to remove the spacer before I could cast the final part. Traditionally this goes against mould making technique but I tried it in my previous mould and it worked for me.

I created a handle and screw 3D print to use in the inside plugs of each of my vessels. I wanted to combine the parts I liked of the printed handle I used previously but make it stronger within the plaster. I thought printing the tool I wanted was the best way for me to get one that would suit my purpose. I made 2 versions of the handle, 1 takes longer to print and is more comfortable to hold, the other prints quickly but doesn't feel as sturdy.


I inserted the handles into the plaster 1-2 minutes after pouring it into the final part. The screws are based on the shapes of heavy duty rawl plugs and angled for more stability.


I also wanted to make the handle serve the purpose of balancing the plug on the worktop while not in use, the inside is always pulled first and has been damaged sitting on the table with past moulds. The handle serves this purpose well in my opinion.

I am so proud of these moulds. They are even better than the 2 test moulds I made using 3D prints but they also work really well for casting. I've had trouble with the edges of the side pieces breaking off after multiple uses but these have held up and are very robust.


The 3D printed handles and screws are tools that I will definitely be using again for future moulds.


© 2020 by Alison Thyra Grubb

  • Instagram